The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute in San Francisco is currently seeking a YouDescribe Developer.
Classification: Independent Contractor
Duration of Contract: 1 year
Time Commitment: Approximately 15 hours per week
The Description Research and Innovation Lab at The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute seeks a contract web developer to continue the development of YouDescribe – our award-winning web-based video description platform for YouTube content. This unique web service allows registered users to use tools within the browser to add audio description to any publicly-available YouTube video and share that description with the world, thus making it accessible to blind viewers.
- Design and implement a strategy to migrate the YouDescribe player from Flash to HTML5
- Design and implement a strategy to authenticate and integrate YouDescribe with selected social media platforms
- Design and implement a user-feedback system for YouDescribe
- Actively participate in a weekly phone meeting with the YouDescribe team to report progress and set weekly goals
- Reliably maintain YouDescribe codebase and documentation
- Demonstrated experience in web-based multimedia and social media integration
- Strong working knowledge of web accessibility guidelines and best practices – WCAG, 508, ARIA, etc.
- Prior experience working with YouTube and other Google APIs
- Knowledge of Flash, HTML5, MYSQL, JS, and a variety of other common frameworks
- Prior knowledge of audio description and video accessibility
- Connection to an existing open-source accessible video player community
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills
- Ability to work independently and remotely
Please send (1) cover letter, (2) an accessible resume, and (3) three professional references to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please make at least one suggestion for YouDescribe improvements above and beyond those stated in this job announcement.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with applicable laws ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals including applicants with a criminal history pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.